This week i have managed to successfully complete one of my head pieces. I created this head piece by using the screen printing technique flocking, which gave my print a raised texture on the aluminium. I then cut out a few copper flowers, drilled 2 1mm holes, and heated them, allowing me to bend them into shape. I then threaded silver wire through the copper, attaching the flowers to the aluminium.
I am pleased with how this piece has turned out, and am now thinking about the garment that could go with it.
Development of my Work mid-project!
Whilst Carrying out more research i have also been getting on with more of my knitted pieces. I experimented with making a knitted tube structre to go aound the head, and embelished it with flowers to see how it would look…
This was the development of adding the flowers however i felt compared to the full version (below) less was more effective, and showed my knitting a lot better.
I also experimented with creating a big circular headpiece. I started by making a cardboard template to work with. I then embellished it with synthetic flowers and also included some tissue flowers i made quickly, in the top corner again feeling less was more…
I didnt think the tissue flowers were that effective, so need to think about using abother material like copper possibly. I also didnt like the way the back looked as the flower stems just stuck out the back.
So after some quick design ideas i have decided to try making these three pieces…
1. A neck piece which consists of 5 knitted tubes.
2. An Aluminium headpiece which has a tribal print on it and a small knitted tube weaved into it.
3. A large knitted head piece.